Amar y Servir

Amar y Servir

Monday, April 4, 2016

General Conference weekend, my last.

This week is pretty awesome and I've enjoyed the roller coaster ride of the week this has been. We have been really busy with one of most productive weeks that I've had in almost a year.  We can working really hard with the five people we have on date.  Next Sunday will be able to see Abril, Mauricio, and Aaron (who are Rosario's kids) enter into the waters of baptism and the following week receive the Holy Ghost.  I am super excited!

This general conference had a lot of good things that had a lot of good take aways.  There were many that worked together that helped me and gave good guidance for what I am experiencing.  The main things that stuck out to me was that we are children of our Heavenly Father, Humility in our trials, Temples are important places to be, the Atonement can reconstruct our lives, and the importance to focus on families.

(I just got out in a game called werewolf.  It's basically Mafia, and I got killed the first night in both games... I am not very pleased with that...)

So out of all of the talks Elder Hallstrom and Elder Uctdorf on the topic of repentance really stuck out to me. Yet here some of our most favorite quotes and takeaways.

President Eyring
We need to pray for others, while they are teaching us, praying, or in any other righteous endeavor.  As we do this the Spirit can be magnified.  One thing that we are invited to do as missionaries is pray for our companion as they teach.

Elder Hallstrom
To know that we are children of our Heavenly Father "is essential to Salvation"

Elder Uctdorf
"The sheep is worthy to be rescued simply because he is loved."
"The steps of faith are called obedience"
"There is nothing good unless we do it"

What I have learned from this general conference, virtual family fireside, and other scriptures (D&C 121:7-8; Mosiah 14:10) is that there will be trials in our lives that we cannot control.  The things we will face in this life is not within our power.  There is a reason why we are always and forever will be "unprofitable servants".  It is because the Lord allows us to be tried and tested.  So that we can become more powerful, humble, and meek servants of our Lord, Jesus Christ.  The answer doesn't always come as we may hope it will.  With variables such as time, method of deliverance, and to what extent the aid is given, we will always we tried and tested (D&C 24:8) "21 Nevertheless the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people; yea, he trieth their patience and their faith. 22 Nevertheless--whosoever putteth his trust in him the same shall be lifted up at the last day." (Mosiah 23:21-22) 

I know that the patience of Job is not accomplished through a comfortable life.  However, I know that the Lord will be with us every step of the way.  If we do our best to endure patiently in faith (which is being active rather than passive), we will find peace in this life that surpasseth all understanding.  The Lord said, “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:27).


🌅 Elder Nathan Benson 🌅

No comments:

Post a Comment