Last week our mission president challenged us as a mission to study the priesthood. To understand the differences in the aaronic and melquisedec (that is written in Spanish, I don't know it in English). As I was studying, I came across some great things in D&C 107, but when I was assigned to speak on the subject in zone meeting, I was given a document that led me to Alma 13. Here are some of my notes.
We know from modern revelation that the high priesthood is an extension of Jesus Christ himself, a type of his being and power. To the Prophet Joseph Smith it was revealed that the full and proper name of the priesthood is “ the Holy Priesthood, after the Order of the Son of God.” Order is a rich, broad word with several meanings—one of which is “after the fashion or example of: like,similar to. (Elder Holland)
1. One way Christ is like the Priesthood that bears his name is in his eternal nature. The Priesthood is, we are told, “without beginning of days or end of years, being prepared from eternity to all eternity, according to [God’s] foreknowledge of all things.” (Alma 3:7, D&C 84:17)
2. Christ,, who was made a High Priest at the hand of his Father, (Hebrews 4:5) was also described as “without beginning of days or end of years, who is full of grace, equity, and truth.” (Alma 13:9)
3. Through The Book of Mormon, other scripture, doctrine and ordinances we learn how the Savior and his priesthood is extended to all who follow Christ and are ordained to the priesthood. This was spelled out by Alma: (Alma 13: 1-2, 16)
Study all of chapter 13 of Alma.
- Original name: "The Holy Priesthood, after the Order of the Son of God."
- Order: - after the fashion or example of: like,similar to. (Elder Holland)
- The high priesthood is an extension of Jesus Christ himself, a type of his being and power.
My notes on ALMA 13
In what manner were they chosen?
- 5. "in the first place they were on the same standing with their brethren"
- 3. "Through exceeding faith and good works,... having chosen good."
In what manner were they ordained and for what purpose?
Vs. 8, 16
- 16. "Now these ordinances were given after this manner, that thereby the people might look forward on the Son of God, it being a type of his order, or it being his order, and this that they might look forward to him for a remission of their sins, that they might enter into the rest of the Lord.
- 2. "that thereby the people might know in what manner to look forward to his Son for redemption."
- 6. "that they also might enter into his rest"
What is the duration of the calling and the priesthood?
Vs. 3, 5, 7-9
- 8. "which calling, and ordinance,and high priesthood, is without beginning or end"
In the end, the priesthood is an extension of Christ, "who is without beginning of days or end of years". Those who receive such priesthood are receiving an extension of Christ. Those who exercise great faith experience the power in the priesthood. Which, in my personal opinion, will result in growth in the priesthood, which is the same measurement on how much more an individual becomes more like Christ himself.
With the thought when it comes to women and being participants in such blessings, it is through the magnifying of their callings. For it is through that action that they experience the power of the priesthood and the blessings prescribed. They aren't necessarily holders, but that by no means limit the blessings nor the experiencing of the manifestations of it.
This weekend Elder Quaresma and I had a few opportunities to exercise the power in the priesthood. We get quite a number of opportunities having the hospital in our area. We had a missionary fireside, which is another story, and we were finishing up and working our way over to the hospital. As we got there, we were looking at directions in the hospital and someone came up to us and asked "hey, can you give blessings to non-members?" We said of course and she gave us the info on where the room was and we made our way onto our first visit. It went well and Elder Quaresma was the voice. It is evident that as we have had more opportunities to offer blessings, his confidence has developed. We have been even discussing on how we have been feeling as we get these opportunities. One thing that Elder Quaresma mentioned "It's hard to describe as we are Jesus Christ as we give the blessing." Which, it supports the idea because as we give blessings, we are guided by the Spirit. Who only speaks the words of Christ. So as a holder of the priesthood, with an extension of Him, and being guided by the Holy Spirit, His representative and messenger, I would safely conclude that we are indeed acting in Christ and as Christ would. As we continue to seek greater faith and strive to be more obedient, or as a follower as dad pointed out, we are given great power and can minister in a way that we alone could never achieve alone.
Thanks for sending the creepy monkey photos and the fun darling pictures of bruiser. I have to say that everyone of the cousins are growing up so much and that mom and dad look like they have been getting younger. How you all manage to get so smokin' and good looking I would say is a great reflection of the light of Christ growing writhin each and everyone of you. Love you all!
FYI. we'll be climbing mt. Humphries next p-day which is a 9 mile hike and going to the Grand Canyon with one of the bishops the next. So I might not be able to write much, but know that I appreciate so much to see how wonderful life is at home and how amazing you all have been.