Amar y Servir

Amar y Servir

Monday, January 25, 2016

Faith in Christ, Fasting yields faith, Action is better than Reaction

Some of the things that I have come to understand on my mission is the power of obedience.  The necessity to be obedient is crucial because it yields greater faith.  With great faith one is more in tune with the Spirit.  When one is in tune with the Spirit and has great faith, they will be open to the power of the priesthood.  As this is done miracles can be wrought.  According to the will of God.

Out of all of this, my greatest key learning has been what faith truly is.  What one thing that was said in my mission setting apart is that I should study greater the topic faith.  One thing that has been brought greater to my attention is that "faith" is more specifically "faith in Jesus Christ". If we don't have faith in Jesus Christ, faith really isn't faith.  

It is like as pray to the Father, one must do it in the name of Christ.  Otherwise the prayer wouldn't be considered valid (well according to the scriptures in 3 Nephi 27 it says we should pray to the Father in the name of Christ.). So with that in mind,  nothing can be wrought by faith if it is not faith in Christ. 

This past month I read an email from Gram and Grandad Benson inviting all of us to share an experience or a testimony on fasting.  As I read this I had the sudden realization that it was time to gain a stronger testimony of fasting.  So throughout the week I thought over various different, and worthy, topics over which I wanted to pray about.  As I considered about three various options, I decided on one.  This upcoming Sunday was the day Rosario, our investigator who was baptized the previous Sunday, would be confirmed a member of the Church.  I wanted to be prepared in case she asked me be the voice.

As we called her that was confirmed that I was going to confirm her as a member of the church.  What I fasted for and prayed for, was that I would be able to say the words of the Lord.  The whole day was full of opportunities.  Throughout the day I had the focus of how I can grow closer to the Savior, I'll explain that, and how I can be ready to say what He would say.  When we went up and confirmed Rosario as a member of the Church, the Spirit was felt and she now has the gift of the Holy Ghost.  It is amazing to see her with the Spirit.  It is as if she has been transformed.  I have come to notice that those that have the Spirit, I can feel a spirit that I feel when I am among family members, friends, and members of the church.  I would say that those that have the Spirit with them, they draw closer to who they truly are and we recognize them more from their premortal person.

Through the rest of the day I got to see other prayers and mini miracles occur.  I can say that those who study diligently the scriptures and strive to grow closer to the Savior, truly gain that connection and see the miracle occurring around them.  I have felt that something has been missing on my mission.  I've been praying and pondering on the subject and it was given to me that I have to come to know the Savior more.  So what I have done, after receiving some instruction, is start to dive more into the scriptures, Bible and Book of Mormon, with a focus of truly finding the Savior.  As I have begun this journey, just the past few days I feel like my spirit has been having a spiritual banquet.  This past Sunday was such a spiritual experience for me that by the time we had gotten to the third hour in priesthood, I fell asleep because I was so worn out.

I have found that as we do things for a purpose, a worthy one, the Spirit is there in abundance to aid and guide us in our adventure.  I share this with appreciation for what I have experienced in the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.


🌅 Elder Nathan Benson 🌅

No comments:

Post a Comment